Is It Bad For Cats To Eat Moss? Why & The Risks?

We should keep an eye on our cats while playing outdoor even in garden also and cat owners should have basic information of cat’s health so do you know about moss plant? Is It Bad For Cats To Eat Moss? Why & The Risks?

What is Moss?

Is It Bad For Cats To Eat Moss? Why & The Risks?

Moss is an annual flower usually of 6 inches containing soluble calcium oxalates that are absolutely toxic to almost all animals including cats, but only a few animals doesn’t got affected by moss.

Moss is a garden plant and it comes in different colors, like Orange, Red, Pink, White, and Yellow.

Can My Cat Eat Moss?

No, cats can’t eat moss because moss contains toxic substances. This can cause serious health issues and may be a cause of kidney failure in your cat. But by mistake, maybe your cat eats moss, so you have to take care of her.

What To Do or If My Cat Ingested Moss?

If you have seen your cat eating moss or if you suspect that your cat has ingested moss, then without wasting your time, immediately take your cat to a vet to save your cat’s life.

Can Moss Be Harmfull For Cats?

Yes, moss is harmful for cats and to other animals also. Not only moss but also some other seasoning harmful can be harmful to your cat.

Symptoms of Moss Rose Poisoning in Cats

Moss roses normally attack in 2 hours after being eaten by cats. After eating, your cat can start showing any of the following symptoms.

  1. Excess drinking of water
  2. Constipation
  3. Vomiting
  4. Diarrhea
  5. Loss of appetite

Why Moss Rose Causes Poisoning in Cats?

The very first reason is that the moss ross contains a high concentration of soluble oxalates of calcium, which is obviously dangerous for health.

Secondly, cats can’t ingest poisonous plants in large quantities.

Thirdly, it will be the reason of kidney failure in cats. In any case of moss eaten by your cats, immediately talk to your vet.

Tips for handling moss poisoning in your cat

If you found any symptoms of moss poisoning in your cat, then in an emergency situation contact your vet because He/She will treat this matter as an emergency case.

If the rose of moss that your cat has ingested is in your home garden or near you, then take that with you as a sample so it will be easy for doctors to treat your cat.

Also the quantity eaten by your cat, then also tell your vet. It can be helpful in treatment, but it’s not compulsory.

Tell your vet for how long you seeing symptoms of this flower poisoning.

Do you know what’s the benefit of telling the above data to your vet?

After knowing these points your vet will get great help to diagnose the disease and he will do the treatment better but also fast.

If you don’t have the information then don’t waste your time in collecting the information because without this information your vet can treat your cat but if he have the information then it will be very easy to do the treatment.

Recovery after moss poisonous flower

Recovery from this harmful moss poisoning depends upon how quickly your cat is treated and whether kidney failure occurred or not?

After treatment, usually in 24 to 48 hours, from this plant poisoning you cat is recovering.

Now you have a pet cat, so it’s your duty to take care of all your cat activities. If you don’t have a moss plant in your home, it doesn’t mean your cat is safe because there may be in your neighborhood somebody having moss plants, so the easy and quick solution is to make your cat’s outdoor time very less and keep an eye on the outdoor time of your cat.

If you have a moss plant in your garden, then immediately take it out and have another non-poisonous one.

Not only moss plant is poisonous, but there are a lot of other plants which are poisonous, so before buying any plant just do some quick research to know which plant is safe for your cat.

After reading the article i am sure you now you know about Is It Bad For Cats To Eat Moss? Why & The Risks? So if you have any querry or suggestions you can comment below.